3/4 c unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder
3/4 c hot water
3 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp coarse salt
1 1/2 c (3 sticks) organic unsalted butter
2 1/4 c sugar
4 large eggs, room temp
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp vanilla
1 c sour cream, room temp
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together cocoa and hot water until smooth. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
2. Melt butter with sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and pour into a mixing bowl. With an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat until mixture is cooled, 4 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add vanilla, then cocoa mixture, and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, and beating until just combined after each.
3. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool 15 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely. Cupcakes can be kept, covered, for up to 3 days.
Salted Carmel Frosting from Chow.com
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Briefly stir together granulated sugar and water
in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue
cooking, without stirring, until mixture turns dark amber in color,
about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly add in cream and vanilla, stirring with a wooden spoon until completely smooth. Set aside until cool to the touch, about 25 minutes.
- Combine butter and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low, add powdered sugar, and mix until completely incorporated.
- Turn mixer off
and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add caramel. Beat frosting
on medium-high speed until airy and thoroughly mixed, about 2 minutes.
Cover and refrigerate until stiff, about 45 minutes, before using.
I decorated the cupcakes with cutout maple leafs and stamped circle tags with PSA Essentials custom birthday stamp I designed for my husband's 40th birthday party. I also used distressing stamp to give the maple leaf cutout depth.
A simple way to dress up birthday cupcakes.